What You Need To Know About Telephone Solicitation
The Georgia Public Service Commission (PSC), Office of the Secretary of State, the Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs, the Federal Communications Commission and the Federal Trade Commission protect telephone customers from unscrupulous telephone solicitors. In addition to live telemarketing, solicitors may also use an automated message machine.
A "Live" Telephone Solicitor Must:
- Identify himself/herself by name
- Identify the purpose of the call
- Identify the business on whose behalf he or she is calling
- Make every effort not to call a customer who asks not to be called again
- Identify the telephone number at which the person, company or organization making the call may be reached
- Not call before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m.
- For more information, contact the following agencies:
Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs
Web site: www.state.ga.us/gaoca
Call: (Atlanta) 404-651-8600
(toll free) 1-800-869-1123
Secretary of State's Office
Web Site: www.sos.state.ga.us
Call: (Atlanta) 404-656-2881
Federal Trade Commission
Web Site: www.ftc.gov
Federal Communications Commission
Web Site: www.fcc.gov
Direct Marketing Association
Web Site: www.the-dma.org
What if an Automated Message Machine is used?
- The person receiving the call must give prior consent for the call in writing or to a live operator who introduces the call. The machine must disconnect from your line within 10 seconds after termination of the call.
- For more information, contact the PSC.
- Obtain the name of the solicitor and purpose of the call before giving any information or providing your name.
- Most legitimate telemarketers will provide you with an address and phone number to contact them if you have questions.
- Be cautious when leaving your name and phone number on the message portion of an automated solicitation call. Some unauthorized charges may appear on your phone bill as a result.
- Caller identification units may assist in obtaining the name and phone number of telephone solicitors. In 1998, new laws will prohibit solicitors from blocking their name and phone numbers from caller identification devices.
- Place your name on the Georgia No Call List if you are a residential customer. Call 888-382-1222 or TTY 1-866-290-4236, toll-free, to reach the Federal Registry. You must call from the telephone number you wish to register. You may register online at www.donotcal.gov.
Georgia Public Service Commission
244 Washington Street, SW
Atlanta, GA 30334
(404) 656-4501, (metro-Atlanta)
1-800-282-5813, (Outside metro-Atlanta)
Fax: (404) 463-6683